THE ISLAMIC VIEW OF “FEMINISM”
by Nonie Darwish
[COURTESY THE GATESTON INSITUTE: https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10669/islamic-feminism-sarsour]
• What the West needs to know is that in the Muslim world,
• Rebelling against Sharia is, sadly, for the Muslim woman, unthinkable. How can a healthy and normal feminist movement develop under an Islamic legal system that can flog, stone and behead women? That is why Sarsour's jihadist kind of feminism is no heroic kind of feminism but the only feminism a Muslim woman can practice that will give her a degree of respect, acceptance, and even preferential treatment over other women.
In Islam, that is the only kind of feminism allowed to develop.
Muslim activist and Women's March organizer, Linda Sarsour, has helpfully exposed a side of Islam that is pro-Sharia and pro-jihad:
"I hope that ... when we stand up to those who oppress our communities, that Allah accepts from us that as a form of jihad, that we are struggling against tyrants and rulers not only abroad in the Middle East or on the other side of the world, but here in these United States of America, where you have fascists and white supremacists and Islamophobes reigning in the White House."
Although Sarsour later protested that the word jihad literally means "struggle" or that "our beloved prophet ... said... 'A word of truth in front of a tyrant ruler or leader, that is the best form of jihad,'" that is not what the word jihad means in general parlance to anyone you might ask in the Middle East. The people there know only too well that if they even tried to speak a "word of truth" to someone in power, that could possibly be the last word they would ever utter.
The word jihad is not a matter of left or right or liberal or conservative, except when it being manipulated to repackage and sell as something warm, fuzzy and non-threatening to trusting people in the West.
In Sarsour's world, women who do this are called feminists, but, in reality, they are as dangerous to women's rights, the peace of a nation and stability of its government as male jihadists.
At a recent Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) convention, Sarsour urged fellow Muslims, in an openly racist speech, to wage jihad against the "fascist" and "white supremacist" White House, be perpetually outraged, and not to assimilate. She mentioned 9/11 not as a terrorist event waged by Muslims against Americans, but as a day that triggered victimization and Islamophobia against Muslims by America.
Americans got upset just because they were murdered? As the saying goes: "It all started when he hit me back."
Even though Sarsour later claimed her use of the word "jihad" meant non-violent dissent, that is not what the word is taken to mean in any Muslim country.
There, it means only one thing: war in the service of Islam. In addition, her speech did not sound peaceful. It clearly sounded more like a call for an Islamic uprising against the White House!
Nonie Darwish, born and raised in Egypt, is the author of "Wholly Different; Why I chose Biblical Values Over Islamic Values"
WEB LINK TO ORIGINAL COMMENTARY, published July 13 2017:
INFORMATION ABOUT THE GATESTONE INSTITUTE:
Gatestone Institute, a non-partisan, not-for-profit international policy council and think tank is dedicated to educating the public about what the mainstream media fails to report in promoting:
• Institutions of Democracy and the Rule of Law;
• Human Rights
• A free and strong economy
• A military capable of ensuring peace at home and in the free world
• Energy independence
• Ensuring the public stay informed of threats to our individual liberty, sovereignty and free speech.
• WEB PAGE: https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/
General Contact: email@example.com